The Young Coaches Program
The Mavericks Young Coaches Program has been created for Mavericks players of high school age who want to make a positive impact in their community. As part of our strategic focus on building stronger bonds with the community, we have recently re-launched the program.
This is also part of our effort to establish a learning environment and develop coaches from within our own program, providing our players with a platform to develop leadership, communication skills, and overall professional skills in an environment where they already feel and safe and comfortable.
What are the Goals of the Program?
- To help young adults improve their leadership skills, self-confidence, and community ties
- To introduce young adults to concepts of coaching education and child development
- To show young adults how to use sports to impart life lessons
- To create role models for the next generation of youth soccer players
- To expose our players to soccer opportunities beyond play, thereby enhancing retention, and integration of soccer as a lifetime passion
What are the Benefits of the Program?
- For the first season, participants are volunteers (NOTE: many local high schools and college applications expect some community service, and this counts toward that!)
- After the first season, if selected to continue in the program for a second season, players will be paid
- All participants receive a Mavericks Soccer Club Young Coaches uniform.
- Opportunity to earn USSF grassroots coaching licenses through the USSF online digital coaching center
- Opportunity, if selected, to work on Mavericks "Open" Summer Camps
What is their Role?
- Each Young Coach is assigned to support a younger team within the club, and must consistently attend & assist coaching at one practice per week AND 2+ home games during the season
- Provide coaching support at Mavericks clinics and academy programs
- Communicate with the DOC and Head Coach in a professional manner
- Commit to the Mavericks Young Coaches program for at least one season (Spring or Fall)
- Attend a monthly coaches meeting and a coaching training seminars
Who is Eligible?
- Open to all current Mavericks players
- Players must be of high school age
- Mavericks Executive Director & Director of Coaching will oversee all young coaches